verb (spins, spinning, spun or span, spun)
- circular, Circular motion.
- (physics) A quantum angular momentum associated with subatomic particles, which also creates a magnetic moment.
- A favourable comment or interpretation intended to bias opinion on an otherwise unpleasant situation.
- (cricket) rotation, Rotation of the ball as it flies through the air; sideways movement of the ball as it bounces.
- A condition of flight where a stalled aircraft is simultaneously pitching, yawing and rolling in a spinning motion.
- To turn around quickly.
- To present, describe, or interpret, or to introduce a bias or slant so as to give something a favorable or advantageous appearance.
- 2006. In every administration there will be spokesmen and public affairs officers who try to spin the news to make the president look good. But this administration is trying to spin scientific data and muzzle scientists toward that end. — The Washington Post Editorial, The Politics of Science, Thursday, February 9, 2006; Page A22 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020801991.html.
- (context, cricket, of a bowler) To make the ball move sideways when it bounces on the pitch.
- (context, cricket, of a ball) To move sideways when bouncing.
- (cricket) Describing a spin bowler, or his style of bowling.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for spin for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of spin