- words or a formula supposed to have magical powers; a magical incantation.
verb (spells, spelling, spelled or spelt)
- he cast a to cure warts.
- a magical effect induced by an incantation or formula.
- under a
- a relatively short period of time of indeterminate length.
- We"re in the midst of a cold .
- He had a of bad luck.
- (cricket) an uninterrupted series of alternate overs bowled by a single bowler
- (horseracing) time off from competition
- to comprise a word, as the letters "a", "n" and "d" spell "and".
- to write or say the letters that form a word or part of a word.
- to mean, indicate or signify
- This spells trouble.
- to work in place of someone else; to relieve.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for spell for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of spell