- (uncountable) A mixture of sand and organic material, used to support plant growth.
- (uncountable) The unconsolidated mineral or organic material on the immediate surface of the earth that serves as a natural medium for the growth of land plants.
- (uncountable) The unconsolidated mineral or organic matter on the surface of the earth that has been subjected to and shows effects of genetic and environmental factors of: climate (including water and temperature effects), and macro- and microorganisms, conditioned by relief, acting on parent material over a period of time. A product-soil differs from the material from which it is derived in many physical, chemical, biological, and morphological properties and characteristics.
- (uncountable, euphemistic) Faeces or urine etc. when found on clothes.
- (countable) In medical terms, a bag containing soiled items.
- euphemistic Country or territory.
- The refugees returned to their native .
- To make dirty.
- (reflexively: to soil oneself) To dirty one's clothing by accidentally defecating while clothed.
- To make invalid, to ruin.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for soil for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of soil