- A sensation, pleasant or unpleasant, detected by inhaling air (or, the case of water-breathing animals, water) carrying airborne molecules of a substance.
verb (smells, smelling, smelled or smelt)
- I love the of fresh bread.
- (physiology) The sense that detects smells.
- (transitive) To sense a smell or smells.
- I can fresh bread.
- Smell the milk and tell me whether it's gone off.
- (context, transitive, followed by like or of) To have the smell (of).
- His feet of cheese.
- The bum smelt like a brewery.
- (intransitive) To have a particular smell, whether good or bad.
- The roses lovely.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for smell for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of smell