verb (slav, ing)
- A person who is owned by another, as their property.
- A person who is forced to work for another, especially without pay.
- A person who is forced to perform sexual acts or other acts on a regular or continuing basis against their will.
- (engineering) A device that is controlled by another device.
- (engineering) An information worker who has signed a non-compete clause, in return for employment.
- (intransitive) To work hard.
Etymology: sclavus (slave) < Byzantine < Old Slavonic ÑÑÑ, ÑÑ (Slav). Slavs where often enslave, enslaved during the early Middle Ages, thus the semantic correspondence.
- I was slaving all day over a hot stove.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for slave for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of slave