- (uncountable) The outer covering of living tissue over the bones, striated muscles, ligaments, and internal organs of a person.
verb (skin, n, ing)
- He is so disgusting he makes my crawl.
- (uncountable) The outer protective layer of any plant or animal.
- (countable) The skin and fur of an individual animal used by humans for clothing, upholstery, etc.
- (countable) A congealed layer on the surface of a liquid.
- In order to get to the rest of the paint in the can, you'll have to remove the floating on top of it.
- (context, countable, computing) An image used as the background of the graphical user interface of a computer program.
- You can use this to change how the browser looks.
- (context, countable, slang) Rolling paper for cigarettes.
- Pass me a , mate.
- (context, countable, slang) Short for skinhead.
- A subgroup within an Australian aboriginal people, also called a section, subsection, or moiety. These divisions are cultural, not related to a person"s physical skin. (Reference: Macquarie Aboriginal Words, w:Macquarie University, Macquarie University, 1994, paperback ISBN 0-949757-79-9, introduction.)
- (transitive) To injure the skin of.
- He fell off his bike and skinned his knee on the concrete.
- (transitive) To remove the skin and/or fur of an animal or a human.
- The headmaster's birch kept raining down on the repeat-offending runaway's bare bum till it was completely skinned, a raw red rebel rear
- (context, transitive, computing, colloquial) To use a replacement image for the graphical user interface of (a computer program).
- Can I the program to put the picture of my cat on it?
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for skin for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of skin