- act of throwing
- place for throwing
verb (shies, shying, shied)
- (intransitive) To avoid due to timidness or caution.
adjective (shier or shyer, shiest or shyest)
- I shy away from investment opportunities I don't understand.
- (intransitive) To jump back in fear.
- The horse shied away from the rider, which startled him so much he shied away from the horse.
- (transitive) to throw a ball or other missile at a target
- Easily frightened; timid; as, a shy bird.
- Reserved; coy; disinclined to familiar approach.
- Cautious; wary; suspicious.
- Short, insufficient or less than.
Etymology: Old English sceoh
- It is just of a mile from here to their house.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of shy