verb (shuts, shutting, shut, shut)
- (transitive) To close, to stop from being open.
Etymology: Old English scyttan
- The light was so bright I had to my eyes.
- (intransitive) To close, to stop being open.
- If you wait too long, the automatic door will .
- (context, transitive or intransitive, Commonwealth) To close a business temporarily, or (of a business) to be closed.
- The pharmacy is on Sunday.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shut for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of shut