- A gun which fires loads consisting of small metal balls, called shot, from a cartridge.
- (context, slang) The front passenger seat in a vehicle, next to the driver.
verb (shotgun, n, ing)
- I've got ! (I will sit in the passenger seat.)
- A one-story dwelling with no hallways or corridors, with the rooms arranged in a straight line. Mostly heard in the southern United States.
- Elvis Presley was born in a two-bedroom in Tupelo, Mississippi.
- A play formation in which the quarterback is a few feet behind the snapper when the ball is hiked, ideally allowing for an easier pass play.
- (slang, smoking) To inhale from a pipe or other smoking device, followed shortly by an exhalation into someone else"s mouth.
- (informal, transitive) To verbally lay claim to (something)
- I got a day off because I ed it.
- (baseball, transitive) To hit the ball directly back at the pitcher.
- (US, idiom, slang) To rapidly drink a beverage from a can by making a hole in the bottom of the can, placing the hole above one's mouth, and opening the top.
- (rfd-sense) Of or relating to a shotgun.
Etymology: From shot + gun.
- The ground was littered with shells.
- Occuring as a result of the threat of force.
- Utilizing numerous or highly diverse means to achieve a particular result.
- (rfd-sense, This sense is included in "utilizing numerous or highly diverse means to achieve a particular result", newly added) (context, biology) Of laboratory methods applied to a broad spectrum of samples without expecting any particular result.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shotgun for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of shotgun