- The part of a plant, generally underground, that absorbs water and nutrients.
- The part of a tooth extending into the bone holding the tooth in place.
- The part of a hair under the skin that holds the hair in place.
- source, Source.
- The love of money is the of all evil
- (arithmetic) Of a number or expression, a number which, when raised to a specify, specified power, yields the specified number or expression.
- The cube of 27 is 3.
- (arithmetic) A square root (understood if no power is specified; in which case, "the root of" is often abbreviated to "root").
- Multiply by 2.
- (analysis) A zero (of a function).
- (context, graphtheory, computing) The single node of a tree that has no parent.
- (italbrac, philology) A word from which another word or words are derived.
- (computing) In UNIX terminology, the first user account with complete access to the operating system and its configuration, found at the root of the directory structure.
- (computing) The person who manages accounts on a UNIX system.
- To rummage, to search as if by digging in soil, to root out.
- To cheer to show support for a sports team, etc.
- 1908, w:Jack Norworth, Jack Norworth, w:Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Take Me Out to the Ball Game
- : Let me , , for the home team,
- (italbrac, Australian coarse slang) To have sexual intercourse.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for root for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of root