- A mechanical or virtual, artificial agent.
- An electro-mechanical system, which, by its appearance or movements, conveys a sense that it has intent or agency of its own.
- A machine which is anthropomorphic or zoomorphic in shape or scope of function.
- A person who does not seem to have any emotions.
Etymology: From both Czech robota meaning "drudgery" or "servitude" and from Slovak robota meaning "labour". First appeared in a translation of the 1921 science-fiction play W:R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots), R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) by Karel Äapek.
- Being a , Jessica chose to wear a casual pair of shorts to the funeral and didn't even cry.
- (South Africa) traffic light, Traffic lights.
- (surveying) A theodolite which follows the movements of a prism and can be used by a one-man crew.
- A style of dance popular in disco whereby the dancer impersonates the movement of a robot
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for robot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of robot