verb (renounc, ing)
- (card games) An act of
- Verb, renouncing.
Etymology: From Latin renuntiare.
- (transitive) To give up, resign, surrender.
- (transitive) To cast off, repudiate.
- (transitive) To decline further association with someone or something.
- (transitive) To abandon, forsake, discontinue (an action, habit, intention, etc), sometimes by open declaration.
- (intransitive) To make a renunciation of something.
- (intransitive) To surrender formally some right or trust.
- (intransitive)(cards) To fail to follow suit; playing a card of a different suit when having no card of the suit led.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for renounce for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of renounce