adjective (wikipedia, Reliability)
- suitable, Suitable or fit to be rely on, relied on; worthy of dependance or reliance; trustworthy.
Etymology: (suffix, rely, able)
- A reliable witness to the truth of the miracles. --A. Norton.
- The best means, and most reliable pledge, of a higher object. --Coleridge.
- According to General Livingston's humorous account, his own village of Elizabethtown was not much more reliable, being peopled in those agitated times by unknown, unrecommended strangers, guilty-looking Tories, and very knavish Whigs. --W. Irving.
- Of a communication protocol, in which a sent packet will reach its destination, even if it requires retransmission, or the sender will be told that it didn't.
This text is from 1913 Webster's (as well as all other quotations under this entry), and it appears quite outdated. "Reliable" has become a fully acceptable word since then. User: Hekaheka
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for reliable for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of reliable