noun (countable and uncountable; plural: reeds)
Etymology: Middle English rede, Old English hrÄod
- (countable) Any of various types of tall stiff perennial grass-like plants growing together in groups near water.
- (countable) The hollow stem of these plants.
- (countable) Part of the mouthpiece of certain woodwind instruments, comprising of a thin piece of wood or metal which shakes very quickly to produce sound when a musician blows over it.
- (countable) A musical instrument such as the clarinet or oboe, which produces sound when a musician blows on the reed.
- (uncountable) (as a material)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for reed for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of reed