- In scientific usage, any of about 56 different species of small, omnivorous rodent, rodents belonging to the genus Rattus.
- (colloquial) A term indiscriminately applied to numerous members of several rodent families (e.g. voles and mice) having bodies longer than about 12 cm, or 5 inches.
- A person who is known for betrayal; a traitor.
- What a , leaving us stranded here!
verb (rat, t, ed)
- 1883, w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island
- : He"s more a man than any pair of rats of you in this here house...
- A promiscuous person - often a young female - who attends sporting and other entertainment events, primarily to seek sexual liaisons with athletes, entertainers and/or others traveling with them.
- (context, usually with "on" or "out") to betray someone and tell their secret to an authority or an enemy; to turn someone in.
- He ratted on his coworker.
- He is going to us out!
- (context, of a dog, etc.) To kill rats.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of rat