verb (rar, ing)
- (context, US, intransitive) To rear, rise up, start backwards.
adjective (rarer, rarest)
- 2006, Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day, Vintage 2007, p. 328:
- :Frank pretended to back as if bedazzled, shielding his eyes with a forearm.
- (context, US, transitive) To rear, bring up, raise.
- Very uncommon; scarce.
- (of cooking, particularly meats) Cooked very lightly, so the meat is still red (in the case of beef).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rare for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of rare