- A defensive mound of earth or a wall with a broad top and usually a stone parapet; a wall-like ridge of earth, stones or debris; an embankment for defensive purpose.
- A defensive structure; a protective barrier; a bulwark.
- That which defend, defends against intrusion from outside; a protection.
- (usually plural) A steep bank of a river or gorge.
Etymology: From Old French rempart
- To defend with a rampart; fortify or surround with a rampart.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rampart for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of rampart