- (uncountable) The technology that allows for the transmission of sound or other signals by modulation of electromagnetic waves.
- (countable) A device that can capture (receive) the signal sent over radio waves and render the modulated signal as sound.
- (countable) A device that can transmit radio signal.
- To send a message by radio
Etymology: From Latin radius, "ray"
- ''I think the boat is sinking, we'd better radio for help.
- Usage note: Used for small radio transmitters carried by people, ships, etc, not for regular radio broadcasting to large audiences.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for radio for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of radio