- (context, Derogatory, slang) A homosexual; a person who appear, appears homosexual, or a person who has homosexual quality, qualities.
- (context, slang) A person of non-heterosexual orientation: an asexual, bisexual, homosexual, transsexual, transgender, or questioning person.
- To render an endeavor or agreement ineffective or null.
- To reevaluate or reinterpret a work with an eye to sexual orientation and/or gender, as by applying queer theory.
Etymology: From Scottish, perhaps from Low German (Brunswick dialect) queer = "oblique, off-center", related to German quer = "oblique, perverse, odd", from Old High German twerh = "oblique," from PIE stem
- (somewhat old-fashioned) Weird, odd or different.
- (somewhat old-fashioned) Slightly unwell (mainly in to feel queer).
- (slang) Homosexual.
- (slang) Having to do with homosexuality, bisexuality, transgenderism, etc.
- twerk- = "to turn, twist, wind" (related to thwart).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for queer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of queer