- A device for moving or compressing a liquid or gas.
- This can deliver 100 gallons of water per minute.
- An instance of the action of a pump; one stroke of a pump; any action similar to pumping
- It takes thirty pumps to get 10 litres ; he did 50 pumps of the weights.
- A device for dispensing liquid or gas to be sold, particularly fuel.
- This is out of order, but you can gas up at the next one.
- (bodybuilding) A swelling of the muscles caused by increased blood flow following high intensity weightlifting.
- (colloquial) A ride on a bicycle given to a passenger, usually on the handlebars or fender.
- She gave the other girl a on her new bike.
- (Obsolete American slang) The heart.
- (transitive) To use a pump to move (liquid or gas).
- I've pumped over 1000 gallons of water in the last ten minutes.
- (transitive) (often followed by up) To fill with air.
- He pumped up the air-bed by hand, but used the service station air to up the tyres.
- (transitive) To move rhythmically, as the motion of a pump.
- I pumped my fist with joy when I won the race.
- (transitive) To shake (a person's hand) vigorously.
- (transitive) To gain information from (a person) by persistent questioning.
- (intransitive) To use a pump to move liquid or gas.
- I've been pumping for over a minute but the water isn't coming through.
- (intransitive) (slang) To be going very well.
- The waves were really pumping this morning.
- Last night's party was really pumping.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pump for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pump