verb (promot, ing)
- (transitive) To raise someone to a more important, responsible or better paid job or rank
Etymology: from promotus, past participle of promovere
- He promoted his chief clerk to a position on the board.
- (transitive) To advocate or urge the adoption of something
- They promoted the abolition of daylight saving time.
- (transitive) To attempt to popularize or sell a product by advertising or publicity
- They promoted the new film with giant billboards.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for promote for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of promote