noun (rfc-level, Noun at L4+ not in L3 POS section)
- A series of events to produce a result, especially as contrasted to product.
- This product of last month's quality standards committee is quite good, even though the was flawed.
- The act of serving a defendant with a summons or a writ.
- (biology) An outgrowth of tissue.
- (computing) A task or program that is or was execute, executing.
- (manufacturing) A set of procedures used to produce a product, most commonly in the food and chemical industries.
verb (process, es)
- 1960, Mack Tyner, Process Engineering Calculations: Material and Energy Balances - Ordinarily a plant will use a steam boiler to supply its heat requirements and to drive a steam-turbine generator.
- 1987, J. R. Richards, Principles of control system design in Modelling and control of fermentation es - The words plant or infer generally any dynamic system, be it primarily mechanical, electrical, or chemical in nature, and may extend also to include social or economic systems.
- A path of succession of states through which a system passes.
Etymology: From proces "journey", from processus (past participle of procedere).
- (transitive) To perform a particular process.
- (transitive) To treat with a substance
- (transitive) (computing) To use or manipulate data with a software program.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for process for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of process