noun (primar, ies)
verb (primaries, primarying, primaried)
- A preliminary election to select a political candidate.
- The first year of grade school.
- A base or fundamental component; something that is irreducible.
- The most massive component of a gravitationally bound system.
- To take part in a primary election
- The first in a group or series.
Etymology: From primarius (cf. French: primaire)
- Children attend school, teenagers attend secondary school.
- That which is placed ahead of others.
- Preferred stock has claim on dividends, ahead of common stock.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for primary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of primary