noun (countable and uncountable; plural: pressures)
- (physics) The amount of force that is applied over a given area divided by the size of this area.
- SI: pascal (Pa) (1 pascal equals 1 newton per square metre)
- Others: bar (1 bar equals 100000 pascals), barye (Ba) (1 barye equals 0.1 pascal), pounds per square inch (psi, lbf/in2, lb/in2), torr, mmHg, atmosphere (atm)
- mental strain caused by one's own or others' expectations on one's own performance
- She has been under lately because her boss expects her to get the job done two weeks early.
- Synonyms - under the pump, under the gun
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pressure for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pressure