verb (prefix, es)
- That which is prefixed; especially one or more letters or syllables added to the beginning of a word to modify its meaning; as, pre- in prefix, con- in conjure.
- (transitive) put or fix before, or at the beginning of, another thing; as, to prefix a syllable to a word, or a condition to an agreement.
- (transitive) set or appoint beforehand; settle or establish antecedently. Obs.
Etymology: praefixus, perfect passive participle of praefigere "put in front" < prae "before" + figere "put, fix"
- Prefixed bounds. --Locke.
- And now he hath to her prefixt a day. --Spenser.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prefix for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of prefix