- A thing capable of being affirmed; something real or actual.
- A favourable point or characteristic.
- Something having a value in physics, such as an electric charge.
- (grammar) An adjective or adverb in the degree.
- (context, photography) A image; one that displays true colors and shades, as opposed to a negative.
- Definitively laid down; explicitly stated; clearly expressed, precise, emphatic.
Etymology: From Old (and modern) positif, or positivus, from the past participle stem of ponere "to place". Compare posit.
- : Positive words, that he would not bear arms against King Edward"s son.
- Fully assured, confident; certain.
- I"m absolutely you've spelt that wrong.
- Overconfident, dogmatic.
- : Some , persisting fops we know, That, if once wrong, will needs be always so.
- (grammar) Describing the primary sense of an adjective or adverb; not comparative or superlative.
- "Better" is an irregular comparative of the form "good".
- Derived from an object by itself; not dependent on changing circumstances or relations; absolute.
- The idea of beauty is not , but depends on the different tastes of individuals.
- Wholly what is expressed; colloquially downright, entire, outright.
- Good lord, you've built up a arsenal of weaponry here.
- Characterised by the existence or presence of qualities or features, rather than by their absence.
- The box was not empty " I felt some substance within it.
- Characterised by the presence of features which support a hypothesis.
- The results of our experiment are .
- Characterised by affirmation, constructiveness, or influence for the better; favourable.
- He has a outlook on life.
- The first-night reviews were largely .
- : a voice in legislation.
- (context, chiefly, philosophy) actual, Actual, real, concrete.
- : Positive good.
- (photography) Of a visual image, true to the original in light, shade and colour values.
- A photograph can be developed from a photographic negative.
- (physics) Having more protons than electrons.
- A cation is a positive ion as it has more protons than electrons.
- (slang) HIV positive.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for positive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of positive