- An organism that is not an animal, especially an organism capable of photosynthesis. Typically a small or herbaceous organism of this kind, rather than a tree.
- (botany) An organism of the kingdom Plantae. Traditionally (up to early 20th Century), any of the plants, fungi, lichens, algae, etc.
- (botany) An organism of the kingdom Plantae. Now specifically, a living organism of the Embryophyta (land plants) or of the Chlorophyta (green algae), a eukaryote that includes double-membraned chloroplasts in its cells containing chlorophyll a and b, or any organism closely related to such an organism.
- (botany) An organism of the kingdom Plantae. (context, Ecology) Now specifically, a multicellular eukaryote that includes chloroplasts in its cells, which have a cell wall.
- An industrial installation, specifically the apparatus or machinery.
- A factory or other industrial or institutional building or facility.
- An object placed surreptitiously in order to cause suspicion to fall upon a person.
- That gun's not mine! It's a ! I've never seen it before!
- A person, placed amongst an audience, whole role is to cause confusion, laughter etc.
- (context, snooker) A situation in which the cue ball hits one of a pair of touching (usually red) balls, in order to pot the other; a set.
- (transitive) To place (a seed or plant) in soil or other substrate in order that it may live and grow.
- (transitive) To place (an object, or sometimes a person), often with the implication of intending deceit.
- That gun's not mine! It was planted there by the real murderer!
- (transitive) To place or set something firmly or with conviction.
- Plant your feet firmly and give the rope a good tug.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for plant for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of plant