- Any of several mammals of the genus Sus, having cloven hooves, bristles and a nose adapted for digging; especially the domesticated farm animal Sus scrofa.
verb (pigs, pigging, pigged, pigged)
- The farmer kept a pen with two pigs that he fed from table scraps and field waste.
- (specifically) A young swine, a piglet.
- (uncountable) The edible meat of such an animal; pork.
- Some religions prohibit their adherents from eating .
- A greedy person; someone who overeats or eats rapidly and noisily.
- You gluttonous ! Now that you've eaten all the cupcakes, there will be none for the party!
- A nasty or disgusting person.
- She considered him a as he invariably stared at her bosom when they talked.
- A dirty or slovenly person.
- He was a and his apartment a pigpen; take-away containers and pizza boxes in a long, moldy stream lined his counter tops.
- (context, UK, US, derogatory slang) A police officer.
- The protester shouted, "Don't give in to the pigs!" as he was arrested.
- (informal) A difficult problem.
- Hrm...this one's a real : I've been banging my head against the wall over it for hours!
- (context, countable, and, uncountable) A block of cast metal.
- The conveyor carried the pigs from the smelter to the freight cars.''
- After the ill-advised trade, the investor was stuck with worthless options for 10,000 tons of iron .
- The mold in which a block of metal is cast.
- The was cracked, and molten metal was oozing from the side.
- (engineering) A device for cleaning or inspecting the inside of an oil or gas pipeline, or for separating different substances within the pipeline. Named for the pig-like squealing noise made by their progress.
- Unfortunately, the sent to clear the obstruction got lodged in a tight bend, adding to the problem.
- (context, of swine) to give birth.
- The black sow pigged at seven this morning.
- To eat greedily (also pig out), or in a noisy or dirty fashion.
- They were pigging on the free food at the bar.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pig for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pig