- (given name, female), diminutive of Penelope.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Penny for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Penny
noun (plural: pennies when referring to individual coins; (UK) pence when referring to an amount of money)
verb (pennys, pennying, pennied)
- (context, formerly) In the United Kingdom and Ireland, a copper coin worth 1/240 of a pound sterling or Irish pound before decimalisation. Abbreviation: d.
- In the United Kingdom, a copper coin worth 1/100 of a pound sterling; also formerly in Ireland, a coin worth 1/100 of an Irish pound before the introduction of the euro. Abbreviation: p.
- In the US and Canada, a one-cent coin, worth 1/100 of a dollar. Abbreviation: Â¢.
- In various countries, a small denomination copper or brass coin.
- A unit of nail size, said to be either the cost per 100 nails, or the number of nails per penny. Abbreviation: d.
- (slang) To jam a door shut by inserting pennies between the door frame and the door.
Etymology: Old English penning, pennig possibly from Proto-Indo-Germanic
- Zach and Ben had only been at college for a week when their door was pennied by the girls down the hall.
- (context, jargon) To circumvent the trip, tripping of an electrical circuit breaker by the dangerous practice of inserting a coin in place of a fuse in a fuse socket.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for penny for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of penny