- One who repents of sin; one sorrowful on account of his transgressions.
- One under church censure, but admitted to penance; one undergoing penance.
- 1837, William Russell, The History of Modern Europe: with an Account of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Longman, Rees, & Co., page 20,
- :Wamba, who defeated the Saracens in an attempt upon Spain, was deprived of the crown, because he had been clothed in the habit of a , while labouring under the influence of poison, administered by the ambitious Erviga!
- One under the direction of a confessor.
- Feeling pain or sorrow on account of sins or offenses; repentant; contrite; sincerely affected by a sense of guilt, and resolved on amendment of life.
- 1838, Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy, B. Blake, page 730,
- : If thou be and grieved, or desirous to be so, these heinous sins shall not be laid to thy charge.
- Doing penance.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for penitent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of penitent