- Two similar or identical things taken together.
- I couldn't decide which of the two dresses I preferred, so I bought the pair.
- (followed by of) Two; a couple of.
- Two people in a relationship, partnership or friendship.
- My wife and I make a great pair.
- Used in the names of some objects and garments that have two similar parts or halves.
- a pair of scissors
- a pair of jeans
- but not a pair of cymbals
- (cricket) A score of zero runs (a duck) in both innings of a two-innings match
- (baseball) A double play, two outs recorded in one play
- They turned a to end the fifth.
- (baseball) A doubleheader, two games played on the same day between the same teams
- The Pirates took a from the Phillies.
- (poker) A poker hand that contains of two cards of identical rank which cannot also count as a better hand.
- (slang) - pair (of breasts) - she's got a gorgeous pair.
- (transitive) To put (two people or things) together.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pair for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pair