Etymology: From open + -er.
- A device that opens something; specifically a tin-opener/can-opener, or a bottle opener.
- (card games) The player who starts the betting.
- (card games) (in plural openers) Cards of sufficient value to enable a player to open the betting.
- (theater) The first act in a variety show.
- (cricket) A batsman who normally plays in the first two positions of an innings.
- (colloquial) The first in a series of events, items etc.; the first remark or sentence of a conversation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for opener for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of opener