- A rushing or setting upon; an attack; an assault; a storming; especially, the assault of an army. --w:John Milton, Milton.
verb (onsets, onsetting, onset)
- The and retire Of both your armies. --Shak.
- Who on that day the word of gave. --w:Wordsworth, Wordsworth
- (obsolete) A setting about; a beginning --Shak.
- There is surely no greater wisdom than well to time the beginnings and onsets of things. --w:List_of_people_named_Bacon, Bacon.
- (obsolete) Anything set on, or added, as an ornament or as a useful appendage. --w:Samuel_Johnson, Johnson.
- (obsolete) To assault; to set upon.
- (obsolete) To set about; to begin. --w:Carew, Carew.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for onset for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of onset