- (transitive): To hold; to keep; to possess.
- (transitive): To get hold of by effort; to gain possession of; to procure; to acquire, in any way.
- (transitive): To become held; to gain or have a firm footing; to be recognized or established; to subsist; to become prevalent or general; to prevail.
- the custom obtains of going to the seashore in summer.
- (intransitive): To prevail; to succeed.
- (intransitive): To exist
- Even though the Pervaise confession had never come to light, no reasonable doubt could ; for the act in question ... was on a par with countless other acts committed by the oligarchs, and, before them, by the capitalists. -- Jack London, The Iron Heel.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for obtain for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of obtain