verb (nettl, ing)
- A herb, Urtica, which is covered with stinging hairs, causing a rash.
- Loosely, anything which causes such a rash, such as a jellyfish or sea-nettle.
- A family name
- Of the nettle plant, to sting or cause a rash in someone.
Etymology: From netle.
- The children were badly nettled after playing in the field.
- To pique, irritate, vex or provoke someone.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for nettle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of nettle