verb (metal, l, ed)
- Any of a number of chemical elements in the periodic table that form a metallic bond with other metal atoms; generally shiny, somewhat malleable and hard, often a conductor of heat and electricity.
- Any material with similar physical properties, such as an alloy.
- (astronomy) Any element other than hydrogen and helium,<ref>Majewski, S. R. (2003, 2006). http://www.astro.virginia.edu/class/majewski/astr551/lectures/ABUNDANCES/abundances.html CHEMICAL ABUNDANCE EFFECTS ON SPECTRAL ENERGY DISTRIBUTIONS. ASTR 551 (Majewski) Lecture Notes.</ref> or sometimes other than hydrogen.<ref>Martin, J. C. (n.d.). http://etacar.umn.edu/~martin/rrlyrae/metals.htm What we learn from a star's metal content</ref>
- Crushed rock, stones etc. used to make a road.
- (tincture) A light tincture used in a coat of arms, specifically argent and or.
- A category of rock music encompassing a number of genres (including thrash metal, death metal, heavy metal, etc.) categorised by strong and/or fast drum-beats and distorted guitars.
- To make a road using crushed rock, stones etc.
- Made of metal.
- Of or pertaining to the metal musical genre (e.g. the metal scene).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for metal for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of metal