- (obsolete) Mass; church service.
- A quantity of food set on a table at one time; provision of food for a person or party for one meal; also, the food given to a beast at one time.
verb (messes, messing, messed)
- A of pottage.
- A number of persons who eat together, and for whom food is prepared in common; especially, persons in the military or naval service who eat at the same table.
- The wardroom .
- A set of four; " from the old practice of dividing companies into sets of four at dinner.
- The milk given by a cow at one milking.
- (intransitive) To take meals with a mess.
- (intransitive) To belong to a mess.
- (intransitive) To eat (with others).
- I with the wardroom officers.
- (transitive) To supply with a mess.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mess for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of mess