- A sexual partner, especially of a breeding animal.
- The other member of a matched pair of objects.
verb (mates, mating, mated)
- I found one of the socks I wanted to wear, but I couldn't find its .
- A ship's officer, subordinate to the captain.
- A technical assistant (gasfitter's mate).
- checkmate, Checkmate.
- (context, colloquial, UK, Australian) A friend; a friendly term of address to a stranger.
- A drink prepared of yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis).
- To fit together without space between. (The pieces of the puzzle mate perfectly.)
- To copulate.
- To pair in order to raise offspring
- To arrange in matched pairs.
- To introduce (animals) together for the purpose of breeding.
- To fit (objects) together without space between.
- To win a game of chess by putting the opponent in checkmate
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of mate