noun , or, when used as a title before a person's name, Major
- A military rank between captain and lieutenant-colonel.
- He used to be a in the army.
- This is Major Jones.
- A person of legal age.
- The main area of study of a student working toward a degree at a college or university.
- Midway through his second year of college, he still hadn't chosen a .
- A student at a college or university concentrating on a given area of study.
- She is a math .
- To concentrate on a particular area of study as a student in a college or university.
- I have decided to in mathematics.
- Of great significance or importance.
- (music) Being the larger of two intervals denoted by the same ordinal number.
- (music) Containing the note which is a major third (four half steps) above the tonic.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for major for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of major