- (alternative spelling of, Lugh)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Lug for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Lug
- A lug nut.
- A device for terminating an electrical conductor to facilitate the mechanical connection; to the conductor it may be crimped to form a cold weld, soldered or have pressure from a screw.
- A fool.
- (Northern English dialect) An ear.
- (Geordie) An ear lobe.
- A wood box used for transporting fruit or vegetables.
- (slang) A request for money, as for political purposes.
verb (lugs, lugging, lugged, lugged)
- They put the on him at the courthouse.
- (transitive) To haul, carry (especially something heavy).
Etymology: Probably from (compare Swedish (term, lugga, lang=sv), Norwegian (term, lugge, lang=no)). Noun is via (Sco.) (term, lugge, lang=sco), probably from (compare Swedish and Norwegian (term, lugg, lang=sv)).
- Why do you always around so many books?
- (transitive) To run at too slow a speed.
- When driving up a hill, choose a lower gear so you don't the engine.
- (context, transitive, nautical) To carry an excessive amount of sail for the conditions prevailing.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lug for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of lug