- (complang) A value, as opposed to an identifier, written into the source code of a computer program.
- Exactly as stated; read or understood without additional interpretation; according to the letter or verbal expression; real; not figurative or metaphorical.
Etymology: Latin litteralis (also literalis) "of or pertaining to letters".
- The translation is "hands full of bananas" but it means empty-handed.
- Following the letter or exact words; not free; not taking liberties.
- A reading of the law would prohibit it, but that is clearly not the intent.
- Consisting of, or expressed by, letters.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for literal for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of literal