- A strip of fabric, especially from the edge of a piece of cloth.
- Material used for cloth selvage.
- 1893: The charwomen are in the habit of taking off their boots at the commissionaire's office, and putting on slippers. " Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Naval Treaty" (Norton 2005, p.681)
- (in plural) The palisades or barriers used to fence off a space for tilting or jousting tournaments.
- 1819: William de Wyvil, and Stephen de Martival, ... armed at all points, rode up and down the lists to enforce and preserve good order among the spectators. " Walter Scott, Ivanhoe
- To create or recite a list.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for list for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of list