- (astronomy) A comet, cataloged as “C/1999 S4”, discovered on September 27, 1999, by the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research program in New Mexico. (See http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/comets/linear.html) Sometimes spelled LINEAR.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Linear for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Linear
Etymology: From linea, line, + adjectival suffix -aris
- Having the form of a line; straight.
- Pertaining or related to lines.
- Made in a step-by-step, logical manner.
- (botany, of leaves) Long and narrow, with nearly parallel sides.
- (mathematics) Of, or related to a class of polynomial of the form <math> y = a.x + b </math>.
- (physics) A type of length measurement involving only one spatial dimension (ib, as opposed to area or volume).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for linear for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of linear