- The lowest commissioned officer rank or ranks in many military forces.
- In the US Army, Air Force and Marines, Second Lieutenant is the rank below First Lieutenant, which is below Captain. Both ranks may be referred to as Lieutenant or as the complete forms of the ranks.
- A naval officer whose rank is above that of ensign in the United States Navy and below that of a lieutenant commander. There are two ranks of lieutenant: lieutenant junior grade and lieutenant.
- A naval officer in the Royal Navy who holds the rank above sub-lieutenant and below lieutenant commander.
- A person who executes the plans and directives of another.
Etymology: From French lieu ("place") + tenant ("holder").
- A military grade that is junior to the grade the adjective modifies: lieutenant colonel, lieutenant general.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lieutenant for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of lieutenant