- An organ of a plant typically divided into a flattened portion (the blade) and a narrow stalk (the petiole) and serving as the principal site of photosynthesis and transpiration.
- Anything resembling the leaf of a plant.
- A sheet of any substance beaten or rolled until very thin.
- gold leaf
- A sheet of a book, magazine, etc (consisting of two pages, one on each face of the leaf).
- (in plural leaves) tea leaf, Tea leaves.
- A flat section used to extend the size of a table.
- (context, computing, mathematics) In a tree, a node that has no descendants.
Etymology: From Old English, lÄaf (proto, Germanic, laubaz) (proto, Indo-European, leup-, to peel, break off)
- (intransitive) To produce leaves; put forth foliage.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for leaf for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of leaf