- One who, or that which, leads or conducts; a guide; a conductor. Especially:
- (a) One who goes first.
- (b) One having authority to direct; a chief; a commander.
- (c) (music) A performer who leads a band or choir in music; also, in an orchestra, the principal violinist; the one who plays at the head of the first violins.
- (d) (nautical) A block of hard wood pierced with suitable holes for leading ropes in their proper places.
- (e) (engineering) (obsolete) The principal wheel in any kind of machinery. (G. Francis)
- (f) A horse placed in advance of others; one of the forward pair of horses.
- He forgot to pull in his leaders, and they gallop away with him at times. - Hare?
- (g) A pipe for conducting rain water from a roof to a cistern or to the ground; a conductor.
- (h) (context, fishing) A net for leading fish into a pound, weir, etc.
- ((i)context, fishing) A section of line between the main fly line and the snell, to which the snell of a fly hook is attached.
- (j) (Mining): A branch or small vein, not important in itself, but indicating the proximity of a better one.
- The first, or the principal, editorial article in a newspaper; a leading or main editorial article.
- (a) A type having a dot or short row of dots upon its face.
- (b) (plural):. a row of dots, periods, or hyphens, used in tables of contents, etc., to lead the eye across a space to the right word or number.
- (film) A piece of blank film at the beginning of a movie to allow the film to be threaded in the projector.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for leader for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of leader