- An aristocratic title for a woman; the wife of a lord and/or a woman who holds the position in her own right.
- Would Macbeth care for dessert?
- The title for the (primary) female deity in female-centered religions, for example, the title for the Goddess in Wicca.
- My , will you not take pity on me?
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Lady for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Lady
- (context, Obsolete) The mistress of a household.
- A woman of breeding or higher class, a woman of authority.
- A polite term referring to a woman.
- Please direct this lady to the soft furnishings department.
- (ladies; in plural only) A polite form of address to women
- Ladies and gentlemen, it is a pleasure to ...
- Follow me, ladies!
Etymology: From lavedi, from hlífdige, hlfdÄÄe, originally literally "loaf-kneader".
- Usage note: The equivalent form of address to one woman is madam.
- (ladies' or ladies) Toilets intended for use by women.
- (context, familiar) An affectionate term for one's wife or girlfriend.
- But soft, what light through yonder window breaks...? It is my , O it is my love! -Romeo and Juliet
- (slang) a queen (the playing card)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lady for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of lady