Etymology: knyghte from cniht, youth or servant
- an English status surname for someone who was a mounted soldier
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Knight for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Knight
- A warrior, especially of the Middle Ages.
- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
- Nowadays, a person on whom a knighthood has been conferred by a monarch.
- (chess) A chess piece often in the shape of a horse's head that is moved two squares in one direction and one at right angles to that direction in a single move, leaping over any intervening pieces.
- To confer knighthood upon.
Etymology: From Old English cniht ("boy").
- The king knighted the young squire.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for knight for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of knight