verb (kiss, es)
- A touch with the lips, usually to express love or affection, or as a greeting.
- A candy or sweet wrapped in paper with twisted ends.
- (transitive) To touch with the lips or press the lips against, usually to express love or affection or passion, or as part of a greeting, or as part of WikiSaurus:sexual activity, sexual activity.
- (transitive) To touch lightly or slightly.
Etymology: cyssan, from (Ger.)
- His ball kissed the black into the corner pocket.
- The nearside of the car just kissed a parked truck as he took the corner at high speed.
- (intransitive) Of two or more people, to touch each other's lips together, usually to express love or affection or passion.
- kussja-, from
- kus- (probably imitative). Cognates include Dutch kussen, German kíssen, Swedish kyssa. However, the oldest attested record for the word, is the Ancient Greek (kysso) poet. form of (') "to kiss" (Homer, Odyssey, 16.15: kusse de min kephalen... "he kissed his forehead"; Aristophanes, Clouds, 56.81: kuson me... "kiss me...", etc.), from ' (kyneo'') "to kiss".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for kiss for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of kiss