- A male monarch; member of a royal family who is the supreme ruler of his nation.
- Henry VIII was the of England from 1509 to 1547.
- (idiomatic) A powerful or influential person.
- Howard Stern styled himself as the " of all media".
- (chess) The principal playing piece in chess which moves only once square per move (except in castling), but in all eight directions, but cannot move into check (threat of attack).
- A playing card with the image of a king on it.
Etymology: Old English cyning, from Germanic
- (transitive) In checkers: to stack a checker on an opponent's piece that has successfully traversed the board to the opposite side. The piece so marked can then move forwards or backwards.
- kuningaz. Cognate with Dutch koning, German Kínig, Swedish konung.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for king for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of king